'One Chip Challenge' Chip Pulled From Stores Following Teen's Death

A kid from Massachusetts died suddenly on Friday. His parents think that the very spicy tortilla chip he ate earlier in the day may have been the cause of his death.

Harris Wolobah passed out at school soon after finishing the Paqui One Chip Challenge by eating a single chip that had Carolina Reaper and Naga Viper peppers on it. 

The nurse at Doherty High School called Harris's mother, Lois, and she took him to their nearby house. After a few hours, though, rescuers were called to Wolobah's house and found the teen not breathing. 

The New York Times says that he was taken to a nearby hospital and declared dead there. Wolobah's body has already been autopsied, but the "manner [of death] is still pending," a spokesperson for the Massachusetts Executive Office of Public Safety and Security told reporters. 

Lois Wolobah thinks that the One Chip Challenge, which is a single chip sold in a coffin-shaped box, played a part in her son's death, no matter what happened. She also wants shops to stop selling the chips.

Someone from Paqui said that the company was "deeply saddened" to hear about Harris's death. "Our condolences go out to the family," the representative said. "It wouldn't be right for us to guess or say anything else." 

 Hence, even though the product still meets food safety standards, we are actively working with our retailers to take the goods off the shelves out of an abundance of caution.